From "No Way!" to "I Got This!" in Media!

Story By IMENA Gislain 


If you've ever looked at a TV camera, a microphone, or a control board and thought, "

Wow, that looks impossible to learn!" – then you have to read this. My goal is to show everyone who thinks media work is difficult that it's totally possible, especially right here in Kigali.

It all started in 2023. I often found myself hanging out at my uncle's TV studio. It's a busy place where they film Gospel contents  and get everything ready for live streaming. I'd watch them set up the cameras, arrange the bright lights, and handle the huge sound mixers. It was fascinating, but also looked really, really complicated. Like watching a magician, you know?



But here's a little secret: when I was in secondary school, I actually picked up a few basic "sonorization tips" – just simple stuff about making sound work. It wasn't much, but it was my tiny little start in the world of tech.


Then came the big day. My uncle needed help at a wedding he was filming. "Imena," he said, "I need you to take over the camera." My heart just about leaped out of my chest! Me? On camera duty? I felt a huge wave of "anxiety" – that nervous, shaky feeling when you're about to do something you've never done before. Every part of me wanted to say no.


But I took a deep breath and just went for it. I picked up the camera, tried to focus, and just kept going. And you know what happened by the end of that day? That nervous feeling slowly faded away. And something else started to grow inside me: confidence.


After that wedding, it was like a lightbulb switched on. I started to feel like a real expert. Of course, it didn't happen overnight, but with every new thing I learned and every time I practiced, that feeling of "I can do this!" grew stronger and stronger. It wasn't about being perfect; it was about trying, learning, and getting better step by step.






I continued
  my studies at Mount Kigali university in Mass media and communication and I'am  specializing  in Journalism


This campus helped me in gaining Many of skills That i can use to become journalist, photographer, news editor and etc, and am looking forward to gain more like graphic designer, tv producer and more.... 


So to conclude 

 to anyone in Kigali or anywhere else who's dreaming of working in media – maybe filming, editing, sound, or live streaming – but feels like it's too difficult, please listen to my story. 

It's not impossible. Every single person who's an "expert" today started as a beginner, feeling a bit lost. 


My journey proves it. Take that first step, even if you're a little scared. Embrace the learning process. You might just discover your true passion, and like me, you might surprise yourself by becoming an expert sooner than you ever imagined. Go on, give it a try.


Share your Feedback. And Scroll up For More Blog Like/different From This.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PHOTOGRAPHY 🔘

Exposure Triangle